bacterial colony pcr

Peter Myler mylerpj at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 10 11:31:36 EST 1995

On 8 Apr 1995, Edward Wang wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody have a protocol for pcr of insert directly
> from bacterial colonies.  I am more interested in the reagents involved.
> Trying to keep the cost down.
>
> --
> ********************************
> Edward H. Wang                 *
> Staff Resch. Assc.             *
> Dept. Internal Med. -Nephrology*
> UC Davis                       *

We resuspend a moderate sized colony in 10 ul ul TE and then use 1 ul of
this suspension directly in a conventional PCR (we use BMB Taq polymerase
and 10X buffer).  This usually gives good bands after 25-30 cycles.

Regards

Peter
Peter J. Myler                                 phone: (206) 284-8846x332
Seattle Biomedical Research Institute          FAX: (206) 284-0313
4 Nickerson Street                             e-mail: MYLERPJ at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Seattle, WA  98109-1651