DNA restriction mapping pro

David Pritchard pritchard at ca.neb.com
Mon Apr 10 07:56:22 EST 1995

                      Subject:                              Time:  8:39 AM
       MEMO           DNA restriction mapping progs         Date:  4/10/95
Subject: Re: DNA restriction mapping programs
In article <cdh-0404951234010001 at f010.mim.uic.edu>
cdh at uic.edu (C. Douglas Hershberger) writes:
>    We are currently having problems with DNA strider v 1.0.  We use
> strider to generate restriction maps from sequence data. But recently it
> has been crashing our computer, which is a powermac 6100/60.  All we
> really need is a program which takes sequence and creates a restriction
> map based on that sequence. Does anyone know of some good programs
> available for cheap or free that will do this as well as strider?  I have
> heard that a new version of strider is available, but do not know where to
> get it.  My apologies if this is in some FAQ somewhere but I didn't see
> any mention of this topic in the FAQ for this newsgroup and this seemed
> like the most appropriate group to ask.  Thanks             -Doug

I have a couple of programs that will crash a PowerMac, but if I turn off
the Modern Memory Manager (from the Memory Control Panel) then restart the
Mac, they work fine.  I don't have a copy of DNA Strider, so I don't know if
it'll solve your problem.

It turns out that the PowerPC chips have a new (or "Modern") method of
handling the pages of memory which doesn't always work quite right when the
chip is running in the 040 emulation mode.

Good luck,

David Pritchard, New England Biolabs Ltd.       e-mail: pritchard at ca.neb.com
3397 American Drive, Unit 12                               Tel: 905-672-3370
Mississauga, ON Canada  L4V 1T8                            Fax: 905-672-3414