Plant DNA extraction

smb14 at cornell.edu smb14 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 10 05:50:06 EST 1995

As a quick response to the idea of freeze-drying plant material... We have
found in our lab that freeze-drying reduces the quality and quantity of DNA
extracted from the material.  We use fresh tissue most of the time, but
freeze the tissue at -70C for storage if needed.  It may also depend on the
tissue.  Brassica is stable and freeze-dries okay, but Malus does not.  We
beilieve that this is due to greater amount of phenolic compounds in Malus.
 I would suggest doing comparison extractions using fresh, frozen and
freeze-dried tissue.

Good luck!
Sharon