Conjugation/labeling using carbodiimide-HELP

Jim Poole JMPOOL01 at ulkyvm.louisville.edu
Tue Apr 11 07:58:37 EST 1995

In article <carl_hoeger.1147377331B at riscsm.scripps.edu>
carl_hoeger at qm.salk.edu (Carl Hoeger) writes:

>I am currently involved in a research project and I need your help!  Do you
>do cojugations, labelings, etc. to proteins using water soluble
>carbodiimides, especially EDC? ...
>:-]

Although not specifically a protein chemistry book, an excellent reference
for EDC couplings along with several other methods is "Antibodies: A
Laboratory Manual" by Harlow and Lane (published by Cold Spring Harbor, 1988,
ISBN 0-87969-314-2, see pages 84-85).  This is overall a very good book on
all aspects of antibody generation, characterization, and purification.  The
protocols in this book are precise and easy to follow.

I hope this helps.  Actually you should be able to find a mountain of journal
reference for using EDC with medline and most protein modification text or
immunology lab guides (v.s.) have this information.

Jim Poole
Dept. of Pathology
University of Louisville