Rnase away

Jim Meador meador at cts.com
Wed Apr 12 21:17:55 EST 1995

In article <3mbstk$put at news.acns.nwu.edu>, jkh141 at nwu.edu (Jody K. Hirsh) wrote:

In article <95099.115631U12201 at uicvm.uic.edu>, <U12201 at uicvm.uic.edu> says:

>I have been told that the RNA removing agents (Rnase away etc.)
>are nothing more than detergents and that the best detergent to
>use is RBS-35 and PCC-54 from Pierce - is this true ?

I don't know; but I've had success using hydrogen peroxide (from Walgeen's)
at 39 cents per bottle. Method is in Maniatis, 2nd ed.

Jody K. Hirsh
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.   USA
jkh141 at nwu.edu

I hadn't heard about hydrogen peroxide, although I'm sure that works well.
Something else that works fine is a combination of 0.1% SDS and 0.1M NaOH,
if the surfaces can take it.

Jim

meador at cts.com