Brilliant Cresyl Blue for staining agarose gels

Daniel Kim dkim at nmsu.edu
Thu Apr 13 12:08:08 EST 1995

Hello:

I read in Trends in Genetics that brilliant cresyl blue stain can be used
to stain DNA in agarose gels.  They say that the sensitivity compares
favorably with ethidium bromide (25 ng/band visible) and it does not
require UV for visualization.

The figures showed very nice bands . . . has anyone used this method?

Is DNA stained in this manner still intact and suitable for purification
and manipulation?  That is, could I excise a stained band and extract the
DNA for further digestion, ligation, PCR, labeling, etc?

I'd appreciate any comments by experienced users.  If there is no reply,
then I may just go ahead and try it out myself and report back in a month
or so.

Daniel Kim