Problem--Negative staining of plaque lifts

David M. Lukac Lukac at
Sat Apr 15 12:47:38 EST 1995

Has anyone out there ever screened a lambda phage expression library
by a Far Western approach (hot protein as probe) and seen negative staining
of plaques (background of filter much darker than plaques)?
	I have experienced this alot of times, with most of the plaques
on particular filters being "negatively stained."
	I'm assuming that the probe is being "excluded" from binding to
these proteins on the filter;  are these true negatives, or can this
be the result of over-expression from these plaques, and thus be