Sufficient for pub?

GORDON BETTS betts at ORION.ETSU.EDU
Tue Apr 18 16:38:58 EST 1995

Being new in molecular biology work, I often ask rather simple questions,
but I hope others will gain from my ignorance.

I am asking whether I have sufficient evidence for the existance of a gene
in a species and if this evidence is sufficient for publication.
1). we stimulated cells to produce mRNA.
2). We performed RT reverse transcriptase.
3). We performed PCR using a 20 nucleotide probe of a sequence same as mouse.
4). We ran on a gel and found-
  low amounts of signal for 0 hour stimulation,
  lots at 4 hour,
  moderate amounts at 8 hour,
  this closely approximates what is in the literature for mouse.

Is this significant evidence? Is this publishable? It couldn't be an
artifact could it?  Do we need to back up and do Northern or Southern
blotting using biotinylated probe?

As always I appreciate the encouraging feedback.
Gordon
Gordon Betts
Biology Dept.
East Texas State University
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
903/886-5369
The Today show did a story on people that complain.  Don't you just hate
stories like that?  They're such a waste of time.  And besides that, they're
always....