DNA Storage?

L. Scot Bastian yacman at homer22
Wed Apr 19 10:22:51 EST 1995

Howdy,

	I have been debating the best way to store plasmids and
oligonucleotides.  In the past, I have stored DNA at -20, but recently I
have become concerned about the frequent freeze-thaw cycles that might
cause mechanical shear, particularly to the plasmids as opposed to the
oligos.  For the last several months, I have been storing all my DNA at
+4.  It is convenient to not have to thaw the DNA every time I use it.  Now
I am having second thoughts, I'm not having any obvious problems
with degradation, but I wonder if I'm going to have bugs growing in my
preps.  After all, DNA is a sugar.  Comments?  Experiences?

L. Scot Bastian