Help--my genomic DNA is migrating unevenly

Martin Leach leach at
Fri Apr 21 09:25:42 EST 1995

baum at (Paul Baum) wrote:
>I have been doing many Southern blots using C. elegans genomic DNA.  I
>finding that when I use the same enzyme to digest different samples, I
>similar band patterns, but the bands appear to have migrated at
>speeds (i.e. they are not aligned as I would expect, but skewed up or
>in neighboring lanes.)  I thought that this was a problem with excess
>salt, but repeated EtOH precipitations, spooling out of DNA and 70%

What is the od 260/280 ratio of the DNAs like?

Furthermore, try a phenol - phenol/chloroform/isoamyl alcohol - then
chloroform/isoamyl alcohol extraction.

It may be that you have different protein contamination in each sample.
Re ppting the DNA without a phenol extraction would still keep the
protein there..