HELP-polyacrylamide gels

Amos Heckendorf nestgrp at
Mon Apr 24 15:36:36 EST 1995

In article <40.12676.3148 at>, harold.drabkin at
(Harold Drabkin) wrote:

> Subject: HELP-polyacrylamide gels cracking
> acrylamide (with 7 M urea) gels that are 0.8 mm
> thick (twice the thickness of my sequencing gels). Each time I have tried to
> dry them they crack like shattered glass!!!!
> Someone out there must know the trick to drying high percentage gels that
> are 0.8 mm thick.   Help  Help
> I have tried drying at 50 or 60 C, but the gels take forever to dry and
still > crack.

I have read that Duracryl has twice the mechanical strength as regular
acrylamide.  This would certainly help part of this problem.
I have also read on this bbs that there have been some problems getting
this material from Millipore (no relationship).  I think I have found
another source and would check into it if you are interested.

Amos Heckendorf
(nestgrp at
Tel: 800-347-6378 or 508-481-6223; FAX: 508-485-5736.
Value Added Resellers of HPLC columns and Pre-Cast Gels for Peptide and Protein Purification and Nucleic Acid Purification Kits.