HELP-polyacrylamide gels

Amos Heckendorf nestgrp at world.std.com
Mon Apr 24 15:36:36 EST 1995

In article <40.12676.3148 at channel1.com>, harold.drabkin at channel1.com
(Harold Drabkin) wrote:

> Subject: HELP-polyacrylamide gels cracking
>
> acrylamide (with 7 M urea) gels that are 0.8 mm
> thick (twice the thickness of my sequencing gels). Each time I have tried to
> dry them they crack like shattered glass!!!!
>
> Someone out there must know the trick to drying high percentage gels that
> are 0.8 mm thick.   Help  Help
>
> I have tried drying at 50 or 60 C, but the gels take forever to dry and
still > crack.

Harold:

I have read that Duracryl has twice the mechanical strength as regular
acrylamide.  This would certainly help part of this problem.
I have also read on this bbs that there have been some problems getting
this material from Millipore (no relationship).  I think I have found
another source and would check into it if you are interested.

--
Amos Heckendorf
(nestgrp at world.std.com)