aged chloroform inactivates lambda?

John Dixon jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 25 06:15:45 EST 1995

I just read in Maniatis (page 2.63) that aged batches of chloroform can
inactivate lambda phage. Thinking back, this may explain a couple of
recent low titres I have observed.

Maniatis says that an extraction with anhydrous sodium bicarbonate removes
the products of photolysis.

Can you just pour the powder in, and leave it there like TE on phenol?

I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who has done this or had similar problems.

TIA, Johnny D

--
John Dixon                     Lab 44 (223) 334131
Wellcome/CRC Institute         Fax 44 (223) 334134
United Kingdom       e-m: jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk