Transfection of primary fibroblasts?

neale at mbcf.stjude.org neale at mbcf.stjude.org
Wed Apr 26 11:41:20 EST 1995

Hello netters,

Does anyone have some advice for transfecting primary mouse fibroblasts? We
have been using a standard calcium phosphate method that has high efficiency in
the adherent cell lines that we usually use (NIH3T3, BHK). However, we have had
very poor recovery of transfected substrates from our primary mouse fibroblasts.

I've already checked the News archives, and there seems to be a preference for
lipofectamine in primary cells. Is that the consensus opinion, or do others use
electroporation?

I'll post a summary of responses.

Thanks,

Geoff Neale

Dept. of Virology and Molecular Biology        E-mail: neale at mbcf.stjude.org
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital           Phone: (901) 522-0400
Memphis, TN                                       Fax: (901) 523-2622