Help - mRNA from frozen starfish

Shiao Y. Wang sywang at whale.st.usm.edu
Thu Apr 27 23:27:52 EST 1995

Richard Waring (waring at astro.ocis.temple.edu) wrote:
: We want to purify mRNA from frozen (-70) starfish ovaries. We have
: experience purifying mRNA from lyophilized fungi using various methods.
: We plan to use a guanidinium isothiocyanate method but would appreciate
: suggestions for getting from frozen chunks of tissue to the point where we can
: homogenise in extn buffer.  Spawning of the starfish is seasonal and so
: we only have limited amounts of material to experiment with.

I would suggest pulverizing the frozen ovaries in liquid nitrogen first.
Add the pulverized ovaries to G-SCN soln directly and homogenize quickly.

Shiao Wang
University of Southern Mississippi