DNA:Glass binding for 100 - 250 bp?

Shahram Mori smori at nmsu.edu
Thu Apr 27 00:06:37 EST 1995

Daniel Kim (dkim at nmsu.edu) wrote:

: Hello:
: I will be needing to purify small (100 - 300 bp) ds DNA fragments from
: agarose gels for subsequent use in a PCR reaction.  I would like to use a
: glass binding method, because I am familiar with the process.

: If so, does anyone have a procedure for using sodium perchlorate for
: binding and recovery of small DNA fragments from agarose gels?

: Thanks.
: Daniel Kim

Dan,
There is a much easier method.
Cut the gel containing the DNA. Place a TE-saturated whatmann paper in a 1ml
syringe to block the opening.Rinse the gel piece in TE and place in the
syringe. Press with plunger firmly to squeeze the DNA out in a small amount
of solution.
Read Biotechniques Vol 15 (6) 1993.
Cheers

p.s. I haven't had any problems with glass milk and small DNA pieces.
Cheers
--
Shahram Mori					   _/\_
Program in Molecular Biology			  _\  /_