Neomycin resistance gene and gene knockouts

Klaus Salger salger at wap4.zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Apr 28 14:47:46 EST 1995

Steve Hopkins (shopkins at fs1.ho.man.ac.uk) wrote:
: We have some IL-4 knockout mice that have had their gene inactivated by
: insertion of a bacterial neomycin resistance gene. This is a fairly
: standard procedure and I wonder if anyone could direct me to information
: about the sequence of the gene that is used. We are trying to understand
: the reason for an odd PCR product we are getting from the DNA of these
: mice.
: Thanks
: Steve Hopkins

There are 2 transposons that code for neomycin resistance. Both are
in the EMBL database.
Tn903: Acc# V00359
Tn5:   Acc# U00004

(If the promoter driving the neo-resistance is too weak or the neo
concentration too high you have perhaps selected for transformants
that carry more than one copy of your vector.)

Cheers
  Klaus

--
Klaus Salger                phone : ++49 (0)89 5902 -502
Zoologisches Institut       FAX   :                 -450
AG MacWilliams              e-mail: salger at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Luisenstr. 14
80333 Muenchen
Germany