Reason for diffs. in mol wgt/ pI

LOGAND logand at msdos.montpellier.inra.fr
Fri Apr 28 12:29:10 EST 1995

Dear All,

This question may be best answered by "protein-netters" but I'll give
"M&Ms" the first shot.

Where could I find information and preferably examples demonstrating the
need for caution when quoting polypeptide mol. weights and pIs from
SDS-PAGE gels. That is, confirmation of the nature of measurements by this
method as 'apparent'.

What I want to know is to what extent small changes in primary structure
can change the apparent pI and mol. weight by large values. Will
glycosylation change both? Basically am I right to be very cautious in
making any decisions about the similarity/disimilarity of two polypeptides
which differ in both pI and size. Is an apparent change in mobility
calculated as 4kDa easily accounted for?

Thanks for your help.

David C. Logan
INRA-ENSA(M)-CNRS
Montpellier