infor. on PCR machine

Anton Scott Goustin asg at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Tue Aug 1 12:10:14 EST 1995

hfang at darwin.mbb.sfu.ca (Hung Fang) wrote:
>Hello there:
>Our lab. is interested in buying a PCR machine. We'd like to buy one like Biometra's Trio Thermoblock which one can run three different program at the same time. The problem is Biometra's machine are quite expensive, we are wondering whether any other companies making tri-block or twin-block PCR machine. Any information or personal experience on this will be very helpful for us and will be very much appreciated.

Our lab purchased the twin-block PCR machine from EriComp about one year ago.  We are quite satisfied with this machine, which was ~$4,000 US.  It has heated lids like the Perkin-Elmer 4800, so it can be run without mineral oil overlay.  Each block in independently programmed.  Our has one block for 0.2 ml tubes, and a second block for 0.5 ml tubes (thinwall).  Drawback:  low capacity.  I think it is 15 tubes per block (I am the head of the lab...)