pET vectors, good or bad?

Karen Browning kbrowning at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Aug 2 10:05:30 EST 1995

>>Mike Holloway wrote:
>>I'm giving up on the pET system and wondered if anyone else has had
>>similar experiences.
>>	...stuff deleted...
>>Anyone had experience with pET vectors?
>Jeff Kramer wrote:

>I have spentf years of my life trying to get lipoxygenase expression using
>pET 3a while a grad student working on my PhD.  Even after I got expression, >I
>rarely got anywhere near reproducible amounts of protein.  The specific
>activity was, thankfully, pretty reproducible. ... stuff deleted...So in
>short, my advice is, give up on the pET vectors.  I believe NEB now sells
>them, and I love NEB (no affiliation, etc).  I have never gotten anything
>from them that wasn't excellant (I got the pET 3a before NEB liscenced the
>system), but I wouldn't encourage anyone to use pET vectors, if another
>system is readily available...

We have used pET vectors to very successfully express several plant proteins
(mg amounts with activities equal to the native protein), so I do not think
pET is to blame for problems.  Some proteins just do not express well, fold
properly, get modified, etc. in E. coli systems.  If there are problems with
expression, try another form of the pET vector.  We had one protein that did
not express well in pET3d, but did in another pET vector!  We also have to
test different host strains to optimize expression.  However, sometimes it
is necessary to use fusion expression to get some proteins expressed in E.
coli or in the worst cases bacculovirus or yeast expression is the only
choice.  Also, some people use co-expression of groEL and groES chaparone
proteins to get good expression/activity.

If pET does not work for your protein, try something else.  But don't knock
a system just because it did not work for your particular protein.
Karen S. Browning, Ph.D.
University of Texas
Austin, TX  78712

512-471-4562