pET vectors, good or bad?

Mike Holloway mike.holloway at
Wed Aug 2 21:12:41 EST 1995

In article <199508021441.JAA17718 at>, kbrowning at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU (Karen Browning) says:

>Also, some people use co-expression of groEL and groES chaparone
>proteins to get good expression/activity.

Thanks. That's interesting, though in my case it probably wouldn't make
much difference since I can't even get the plasmid to replicate in JM109.

>If pET does not work for your protein, try something else.  But don't knock
>a system just because it did not work for your particular protein.

Won't hear a condemnation from me.  It was my first choice, after all.
When it works, it seems to work beautifully.  But Jeff Kramer's advice
fits nicely with my own thoughts.  Time to try Pichia yeast.  Nice to
know I'm not the only one.

If only I could figure out what the bacteria's problem is.  It might be
useful information about my protein's function.

Mike Holloway		    |* On average, 8 people a day on the waiting list
mike.holloway at    |  for a transplant die for lack of a donor.
____________________________|* The end-stage diseases treated by transplant
  do not recognize age, race, nationality or pocketbook.
* There is no justifiable reason to deny organ donation, but many myths and
* Next of kin must allow donation.  Your family must know your wishes.
* Only a small fraction of the next of kin of potential donors allow
  donation to take place.
* In general, medical professionals do not recognize their obligation to
  support and promote donation.
Questions? See FAQ: