amp resistance gene

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Aug 2 18:33:40 EST 1995

 In article <3vjjph$38q at newsbf02.news.aol.com>
 rdaines at aol.com (R Daines) writes:

| I am looking for a clonable DNA fragment containing the amp structural
| gene (yes the same one found in many E. coli vectors) hopefully with some
| common restriction sites at the ends.  If any one has such a item, I would
| greatly appreciate hearing from you.
|
| Thanks in advance
|
| Richard Daines
| Pfizer, Inc
| rdaines at aol.com

You're in luck! In the latest issue of Gene there is a paper on a number of
DNA cassettes and omega fragments that can be used for constructing your
own plasmids....

@article{Alexeyev1995c,
author = "M. F. Alexeyev
     and I. N. Shokolenko
     and T. P. Croughan",
title = "Improved antibiotic-resistance gene cassettes
and omega elements for {{\em Escherichia coli}} vector
construction and {{\em in vitro}} deletion/insertion
mutagenesis",
journal = "Gene",
volume = "160",
pages = "63-67",
year = "1995"}

The ampicillin resistance gene in the omega fragment is actually from pBR322,
but for the construction of it, the gene was cleaved out of another cassette
described in the paper below....

@article{Elhai.Wolk1988,
author = "J. Elhai
     and C. P. Wolk",
title = "A versatile class of positive-selection vectors
based on the nonviability of palindrome-containing plasmids
that allows cloning into long polylinkers",
journal = "Gene",
volume = "68",
pages = "119-138",
comment = "amp resistance cassette",
year = "1988"}

The authors are making a set of plasmids available to those who want them.

To request, contact:

Dr. T. P. Croughan
Rice Research Station
P.O. Box 1429