DNA purification from agarose gels

f.r.byrne gen126 at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Aug 3 08:53:57 EST 1995

Tim (tkuwada at neuron.uchc.edu) wrote:
: In article <bio.tamu.edu-2906951005260001 at ricelab-centris650.tamu.edu>
: bio.tamu.edu writes:
: >I am interested in what other people think about Qiagens new Qiaquick
: >columns compared to Promega's wizard PCR preps.  Has anybody done a direct
: >comparison of these two kits for purification of DNA from gels?

: We have not used the Qiagen kit but have had poor yields with the
: Promega kit.
: When we have attempted to purify plasmids (>3kb) with the Promega kit
: we have consistently
: recovered a 1.5kb.  All of our reagents have been filtered, thus it is
: unlikely
: that this a contaminating band.  To date we have 0% yield of the
: desired DNA.
: and
: I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has had similar
: problems.

: t.kuwada at neuron.uchc.edu

I've always liked the bio rad prep a gene kit - never had any problems
isolating from gelas although I prefer promegas for cleaning up
solutions. We've messed aruhnd with this a lot in our lab -
basic message is prepaa gene gfor gels, magic clean for all others

Fergus Byrne
Aberdeen University