RNA denaturant: methylmercuric hydroxide

Niccy.Scholfield Scholfield at bchm.unp.ac.za
Thu Aug 3 08:37:23 EST 1995

I need to denature my double-stranded viral RNA before I do RT-PCR and it
seems that methylmercuric hydroxide is the best way to do this, being
reversible by reaction with thiol compounds. The ubiquitous Molecular
Cloning (2nd Ed) by Sambrook, Fritsch and Maniatis refers to said compund
and its use in denaturing gels for RNA size fractionation, but I have not
been able to find the compound for sale in *any* of a number of catalogues
(Merck, Sigma, Promega, Fluka, Boerhinger Mannheim etc), in any version of
its molecular formula (CH3HgOH or CH4HgO) or as mercury, hydroxymethyl or
hydroxymethyl mercury or as methylated mercuric hydroxide! If someone can
please tell me where I can get hold of some of this mysteriously unavailable
chemical, I would be delighted!
Nic Scholfield (SCHOLFIELD at BIOCHEM.UNP.AC.ZA)