Induction by IPTG

Andy Kravetz akravetz at Walden.MO.NET
Thu Aug 3 14:53:32 EST 1995

Stephen Mamber (mamber at wrote:
: In article <bheymann-2407950912360001 at>, bheymann at (Bernard Heymann) says:
: >
: >I'm interested in the relationship between the concentration of IPTG and
: >the level of induction of proteins from a lac or tac promoter.

: From personal experience, I would try 1 mM and 2-fold increases or
: decreases from there to bracket your activity.  Further fine-tuning may
: be desirable (like 0.8 mM as an optimum).

I second that. When using IPTG from a 1M stock, I would dilute it down to
1mM and let induce for 3h or so. Good results.

Why Capt. Kirk would beat the hell out of the new guy, whats-his-name....
"Kirk flew through the Great Barrier, met God and wasn't impressed."

Andy Kravetz
Freelance Journalist
St. Louis, Missouri
akravetz at