Summary of strataclean prep protocol

Bernard Murray murrayb at
Fri Aug 4 11:06:05 EST 1995

In article <3vrp5o$o70 at>, mmorales at says...
>lidaniel (lidaniel at wrote:

[Recipe for resin deleted]

>How about just using phenyl-sepharose from pharmacia?  One this scale I bet
>it would be cheap.
>Mike Morales

I don't think that these would be equivalent.  From what I understand of
the procedure provided the result is a matrix with *phenolic* groups exposed
(with -OH) whereas the Phenyl Sepharose uses the -OH to couple to the matrix
so leaving a *benzyl* group exposed.  Hence the recommendation of Phenyl-
Sepharose for hydrophobic interaction chromatography (and for some proteins
it works really well).  I don't know of any commercial chromatography matrix
that's equivalent to StrataClean (and since Stratagene hold the patent....).

On a related note, Pharmacia used to give a protcol for DNA purification
by FPLC using a MonoQ column (anion exchange).  Has anyone tried this,
with good results eg. for plasmids?

(Not affiliated with Pharmacia -
  but I am a satisfied FPLC user  - okay Dr. Frasca !?)

bernard at