No way.

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Sat Aug 5 10:23:59 EST 1995

Nikolai writes:

> Yesterday I found that the only clone had died!!! (dried out in incubator;
> technician forget to add water). The month of hard work trashed.
>
> It kills me, I need rest. I want vacation.

Wait!!! Don't throw out that dead culture! You can transform the plasmid
back into E. coli. Add competent cells on ice for a long time, swirl to
keep the plasmid DNA hydrated, heat shock, express REALLY long with glucose
in the media, plate everything on selective media, and pray like hell you
get one transformant :-)

OR, you can collect all dried out cells, wash with 1M NaCl, and lyse them
according to the alkaline lysis method. Collect plasmid DNA and transform
all of it into highly competent E. coli cells.