Help - RNA isolation

Volker Sievert SIEVERT at molbio.mu-luebeck.de
Fri Aug 4 22:19:36 EST 1995

In article <3uo40q$odd at nof.abdn.ac.uk> "Helen E. WIlson" <hew at rri.sari.ac.uk> writes:
>From: "Helen E. WIlson" <hew at rri.sari.ac.uk>
>Subject: Help - RNA isolation
>Date: 21 Jul 1995 11:45:29 GMT

>Can someone possibly help me? I am having trouble with RNA extraction,
>due to proteoglycans. Someone told me about a substance which is used in
>plant RNA extractions to overcome interference of sugars. I believe this
>is cetyl .......bromide. If anyone knows the substance, were I can obtain
>it, a protocol using it in RNA extraction or a commercially available RNA
>kit using it, can they mail me direct or mail the group.

>Thanks
>Helen Wilson

Hi

The substance you mean is probably CTAB,
Cetyltrimethylammoniumbromide. It is avaiable from
Sigma, it is a white solid and AFAIK not too
expensive.

We use it for DNA plasmid minipreps, so
I do not have present experience for RNA
extracting, but you may look at following
older refs, where a RNA extracting method
with CTAB is described.

Bellamy et al 1968 Methods in Enzymology, S. 156-160.

Scheller, Karlson 1977 J. Insect Physiol 23 S. 435-440

I used them during my diploma thesis and remember
them as quite tedious.

Hope that helps anyway.