paired domains?

Martin Kennedy mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz
Mon Aug 7 20:14:35 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.950803160240.26636D-100000 at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu>, "Billy B. Long" <blong at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu> writes:
> Hi, netters!
> I have recently come across the term "paired domains" while reading a
> paper on a transcriptional activator.  I am very familiar with
> homeodomains, but my efforts to find a description on paired domains in
> literature/texts have been futile.  If anyone can describe/define them,
> or provide for me a review article or text chapter, or any info for that
> matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

Paired domains:  name comes from a Drosophila gene known as
"paired (prd)".  It is a DNA -binding domain found in a handful
of mammalian genes (pax/PAX); some of the PAX genes also contain
homeobox sequences.  A lit search for PAX genes will yield many
hits - PAX6 is the aniridia gene, PAX3 is involved in
Waardenburg's syndrome a translocation in alveolar
rhabdomyosarcomas etc... They are hot because for a small family
of genes they are proving very important in human and mouse
disease/development...
--
Cheers,

Martin

		Phone (64-3)364-0880   Fax (64-3)364-0750