Library screening alternatives?

Martin Kennedy mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz
Mon Aug 7 20:01:54 EST 1995

In article <3vomhu$65j at cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>, sullivan at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Steven Sullivan) writes:

> It's been some years since I screened a lambda gt11/cDNA library, using
> the tried-and-tru (but labor intensive and slow) plaque hybridization
> method -- I'm wondering if in the interim any cool new (e.g. PCR based?)
> methods have arisen to make library screening quicker, easier, etc.

IMH (if not a little old fashioned) O,  for isolating recombinant
phage nothing beats good old plaque lifts.  There seems to be a
philosophy that anything other than PCR is outmoded and
ineffective, but plaque screening almost always works, and it
isn't subject to false positives (provided you do duplicate
lifts), false negatives and contamination.  My advice would be to
dig out the filters and start looking for spots!
--
Cheers,

Martin

		Phone (64-3)364-0880   Fax (64-3)364-0750