Using [3H]Tdr labelled DNA on Agarose Gels

syema at welchlink syema at welchlink
Mon Aug 7 13:20:55 EST 1995

Does anybody have any experience in developing autoradiographs with
Tritium labelled DNA and agarose gels. My experiment requires me to use a
0.5% agarose gel with EtBr 0.5ug/ml. My gels are about 6mm thick. I am
using Dupont-NEN ENHANCE to prepare my gels. The trouble that I am having
is with quenching of counts, and that it is taking much longer exposuer
than I expect it to get perceptible bands on my autoradiograph. I have
have had extensive discussions with the company and the only crticism that
they have been able to come up with is that my gel is too thick. I am now
preparing a 3mm gel and repeating my experiment to see if that makes any
difference. If any body has dealt with a similar problem successfully
would really appreciate any help that you could provide.
Thanks

Syema Muzaffar, MD, MHS