Need colorimetric assay to detect PCR products.

Ted M. tedm at
Mon Aug 7 16:07:11 EST 1995

In article <ijmehr-0708951452020001 at>,
ijmehr at (Ian J. Mehr) wrote:

> I am searching for colorimetric methods of detection for PCR products.
> The assay need not be specific, as in DNA sequence, just a simple positive
> or negative result relating to the presence or absence of product.  This
> will facilitate the screening of thousands of PCR reactions I will be
> performing in search of a negative result.  It would be much easier (not
> to mention less time consuming) to place the reactions in a microtiter
> dish and have it screened by a plate reader, or visually if possible, than
> to screen every sample by agarose gel electrophoresis.  Any ideas would be
> appreciated.
> Ian J. Mehr
> ijm at

Doesn't Perkin Elmer make a "quantitative PCR" machine using Rb (Ru?)
photo detection, herd about it last year...Does pretty much what you ask,
and costs a bundle, I imagine.

Ted Michelini
Institute of Molecular Biology
University of Oregon