Baculovirus expression heterogeneity

BIOTEC54 biotec54 at aol.com
Tue Aug 8 21:51:33 EST 1995

Over the past several years, my lab has produced many differing types of
proteins in insect cells using the baculovirus system. During plaque
purificiation, we always pick several (5-10) recombinants (+ for insert
via PCR) for expression analysis...and nearly always see a high degree of
expression level heterogeneity between the clones ranging from little to
no r-protein production to high level production.  Since we have no time
to characterize every clone...we simply move on with the highest
expressing clone....but always wonder "what happened" ?
Is this a general feature of the system that other labs experience? ...and
has anyone a (good) explanation/data/reference/ etc?  Thanks

Hank George
DuPont Merck Pharmaceuticals
EXPRESS YOURSELF!