Rapidcycler opinions

Ted M. tedm at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Aug 9 19:35:01 EST 1995

In article
<Pine.A32.3.91j.950807163622.38541A-100000 at mead2.u.washington.edu>,
walterh at U.WASHINGTON.EDU (Walter Hill) wrote:

> Our lab is contemplating purchasing a Rapidcycler manufactured by Idaho
> Technologies, Inc. which promises 30-35 cycles of PCR amplification in
> about 10 min.
>
> Any information regarding the performance of this instrument (pluses and
> minuses) will be appreciated.
>
> [standard isclaimers apply]
>
> Thanks in advance and I'll post a summary.
>
> -Walt Hill
>

> walterh at u.washington.edu (primary)      (secondary) whill at fdaem.ssw.dhhs.gov
> Research Geneticist                         Seafood Products Research Center
> U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Seattle District,  Bothell, WA 98041-3012
> Affiliate Associate Professor of Microbiology       University of Washington
> VOICE:(206) 402-3176           "Cook it first"            (206) 483-4996:FAX

As I've stated before, here, the Rapidcycler is great for fast PCR's,
typically 50 cycles in ~30min. The real advantages come with the very fast
anneal and denature steps which lend themselves to exquisite sensitivity
from normally messy genomic amplifications. The sample handling time
somewhat offsetts the speed of cycling, but the fast cycles allow for
serial experiments exploring temp. variables,  for example anneal temps.
You can even do antibody based "hotstarts" using the recently available
TaqStart monoclonal from Invitrogen, which promises even more specific
genomic PCR, and possibly excellent "long" PCR too.

regards,

Ted Michelini
Institute of Molecular Biology
University of Oregon