Need colorimetric assay to detect PCR products.

Stephen J. Hopkins shopkins at fs1.ho.man.ac.uk
Wed Aug 9 07:31:13 EST 1995

In article <ijmehr-0708951452020001 at lucky161.acns.nwu.edu>,
   ijmehr at merle.acns.nwu.edu (Ian J. Mehr) wrote:
>I am searching for colorimetric methods of detection for PCR products.
>The assay need not be specific, as in DNA sequence, just a simple positive
>or negative result relating to the presence or absence of product.  This
>will facilitate the screening of thousands of PCR reactions I will be
>performing in search of a negative result.  It would be much easier (not
>to mention less time consuming) to place the reactions in a microtiter
>dish and have it screened by a plate reader, or visually if possible, than
>to screen every sample by agarose gel electrophoresis.  Any ideas would be
>appreciated.

There are a number of methods in the literature. We are attempting to set up
Q-PCR based on the method of Alard, P et al, (1993) BioTechniques 15, 730-737.
You might also want to look at Chevrier, D. et al (1993) Mol. and Cellular
Probes, 7, 187-197, and Lehtovaara, P. et al (1993) 3, 169-175. Boehringer
also sel kit/reagents to do this with their digoxygenin reagents.

Dr Stephen J. Hopkins (Ph.D)
University of Manchester Rheumatic Diseases Centre
Clinical Sciences Building, Hope Hospital, Salford, M6 8HD, U.K.
Tel:   0161-787-4269  Facsimile: 0161-787-4687
Email: SHOPKINS at fs1.ho.man.ac.uk
WWW:   http://www.hop.man.ac.uk/staff/shopkins/shopkins.html