plasmid nomenclature

Guy Plunkett III guy at
Wed Aug 9 13:52:02 EST 1995

In article
<Pine.SGI.3.91.950804120013.25497A-100000 at>,
Kerstin Waigand <waigand at> wrote:

> Hello,
> I need some informations about the correct nomenclature of plasmids,
> bacterial genes and gene products. Does an official standard exist?

Genetic nomenclature for bacteria was standardized in 1966 [Demerec, et al.
1966. Genetics 54:61-76] and is probably described in style manuals such as
the ASM Style Manual for Journals and Books, or the Council of Biology Editors
Style Manual ... I don't have copies of these manuals handy to double check.

The conventions are also summarized in the Journal of Bacteriology's
Instructions to Authors; the most recent version was in the front of the
January 1995 issue (Vol. 177, No.1).

Cheers, GUY

Dr.Guy Plunkett III for the E. coli Genome Project
Laboratory of Genetics
University of Wisconsin        Phone: (608) 262-2534
445 Henry Mall                 Fax:   (608) 263-7459
Madison, WI  53706             Internet: guy at

                "Life is too short, and DNA too long."
                  -- Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park