plasmid nomenclature

Guy Plunkett III guy at genetics.wisc.edu
Wed Aug 9 13:52:02 EST 1995

In article
<Pine.SGI.3.91.950804120013.25497A-100000 at bragg.chemie.fu-berlin.de>,
Kerstin Waigand <waigand at chemie.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need some informations about the correct nomenclature of plasmids,
> bacterial genes and gene products. Does an official standard exist?

Kerstin,

Genetic nomenclature for bacteria was standardized in 1966 [Demerec, et al.
1966. Genetics 54:61-76] and is probably described in style manuals such as
the ASM Style Manual for Journals and Books, or the Council of Biology Editors
Style Manual ... I don't have copies of these manuals handy to double check.

The conventions are also summarized in the Journal of Bacteriology's
Instructions to Authors; the most recent version was in the front of the
January 1995 issue (Vol. 177, No.1).

Cheers, GUY

--
Dr.Guy Plunkett III for the E. coli Genome Project
Laboratory of Genetics
Madison, WI  53706             Internet: guy at genetics.wisc.edu

                "Life is too short, and DNA too long."
                  -- Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park