Background in immunostaining. Help.

J S Abrams mabman at best.com
Wed Aug 9 15:57:16 EST 1995

In article <40017r$n67 at galactica.galactica.it>, Giorgio Spagnol
<spagnol at galactica.it> wrote:

> Dear fellow scientists,
> I'm trying to immunostain Myelin with the serum of a patients having
> serum's IgMs toward a myelin-specific glycoprotein.
> However, my second, FITC Ab always give me serious problem of background,
> even at a 1:3000 dilution.

I would suggest that you try another source of FITC-labelled second
antibody.  If you still have the problem, maybe there is endogenous human
Ig sticking to the specimen.  This possibility is a little remote given
the fixation steps.  In the end you might just have to be comfortable
measuring an increase over the base signal in the presence of the
patient's anti-MAG serum.

Good luck,

John Abrams, PhD.
DNAX Research Institute