Ethanol/Coumassie?

John A. Newitt newitt at nih.gov
Thu Aug 10 12:10:21 EST 1995

In article <drr.1158197324B at pw.usda.gov>, drr at PW.USDA.GOV ("David R.
Rockhold") wrote:

> It has been suggested that ethanol might be substituted for methanol in
> staining/fixing/decolorizing protein gels to lessen hazards associated with
> wastes. Has anyone tried this?

FWIW, I've used both and I found that the EtOH based stain/destain leads
to fading of bands with increasing time of destaining.  This may be due to
the fact that the solutions belonged to someone else and they didn't make
it up properly, but I'm sticking with the tried, true, and stable stain
(0.25% Coomassie Brilliant Blue  R-250, 50% MeOH, 15% HOAc, in water) and
destain (10% MeOH, 15% HOAc, in water).

Regards,

John A. Newitt, Ph.D.           |   <newitt at nih.gov>
National Institutes of Health   |   FAX: 301-402-0387
Bethesda, Maryland  USA         |   <this space for rent>