Help! Panning

David J. Evans d.j.evans at reading.ac.uk
Thu Aug 10 02:45:18 EST 1995

As an alternative to panning try the CELICS technique we described in :

Ward, T., Pipkin, P.A., Clarkson, N.A., Stone, D.M., Minor, P.D. and
Almond, J.W. Decay accelerating factor (CD55) identified as the receptor
for echovirus 7 using CELICS, a rapid immuno-focal cloning method.
EMBO J. 13, 1994, 5070-5074

It has the advantage over panning that it can be performed in a single
round.  It requires the same reagents (plus a micromanipulator) and - for
those readers who aren't going to read the reference above - involves
staining the rare positive cells in a population with b-gal and picking
them out by micromanipulation, extracting the episomal plasmid DNA (see
below) and electroporating it into E.coli.

I should have mentioned that the staining procedure we publish kills the
cells and so episomal vectors must be used.  We currently use this
procedure with pCDM8-derived libraries in COS or WOP
cells.....

I know this won't help detach your cells but it might be a suitable
alternative approach.

Good luck

David Evans

--