multiple runs of PCR?

Fang-Yao Hou FYHOU at MACC.WISC.EDU
Sat Aug 12 16:04:34 EST 1995

Hi, everybody:

I am having problem using multiple runs of PCR, ie. take an aliquot of PCR
reaction in another PCR reaction with exactly the same conditions as the
previous PCR. I expected to see increased sensitivity of PCR reaction after
several runs. It did not turn out to be that way, however. I got huge PCR
products in substantial amount which stayed at the top of the gel
electrophoresis starting from the third run. I am asking help from this
discussion group. Can someone here point out to me the possible causes or the
ways to avoid it or some related thoughts? How is this strategy related to
nested PCR? Thanks!