Summary of strataclean prep protocol

Daniel Kim dkim at nmsu.edu
Mon Aug 7 12:54:38 EST 1995

Hello:

I have been following the Strataclean discussion a little late.  Was the
original intent to find a solid phase method to remove proteins from
nucleic acid mixtures?

If so, then you might want to try adsorbing proteins to PVDF membrane.  I
believe S&S has a microfuge spin cup in their Ultra-Free line that has a
PVDF membrane for this express purpose.  The paper cited in the
instruction book describes an experiment in which RNAse A is loaded into
a solution, then passed through the PVDF.  RNA added to the flow-through
is not degraded, even after extensive incubation, showing that the RNAse
is completely removed by this procedure.

Daniel Kim
(Don't ask me for the citation . . . I can't remember it.  Call S&S
instead.)