Info about genetically modified food

Torsten Boerchers borcher at uni-muenster.de
Tue Aug 15 13:31:36 EST 1995

carsten at biologie.uni-bremen.de (Harms) wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I need information about genetically modified food.
>The sources should show the molecular biology, so that one
>could follow the technics. For example the tomato FLAVR SAVR.
>I tried a patent search but without success. I apreciate any help.

Dear Carsten (Harms?),
please specify what you are looking for.
The flavr savr tomato from Calgene has an antisense gene
to knock out polygalacturonase. The fruits available in
the US also carry the kanamycin antibiotic resistance.
You should look under the enzymes name for further info.
Unfortunately I only found patents from ICI (one of the
corresponding scientists is Grierson) with respect to
reduced polygalacturonase, none from calgene (scientist is
Hiatt). But I didn´t try a commercial database, just my
favorite link to US patents

http://www.town.hall.org/cgi-bin/srch-patent?

Please drop me a note if you have more questions.
Torsten
                          Torsten Boerchers                            /
    _/  _/_/_/ _/_/_/    Institute of Chemical- and Biochemical Sensor/
   _/  _/     _/   _/   Research (Molecular Biology Group)           /
  _/  _/     _/_/_/    Mendelstr 7, D-48149 Muenster, Germany       /
 _/  _/     _/    _/  Fax: +49-251-980 2890 Phone: +49-251-980 2876/
_/  _/_/_/ _/_/_/_/  E-Mail: borcher at uni-muenster.de              /