Glioblastoma and Antibiotics

harley at chempath.uct.ac.za harley at chempath.uct.ac.za
Tue Aug 15 10:20:53 EST 1995

In article <DD4wq5.32x at rockyd.rockefeller.edu> Sean Stevens <stevens at rockvax.rockefeller.edu> writes:
>From: Sean Stevens <stevens at rockvax.rockefeller.edu>
>Subject: Glioblastoma and Antibiotics
>Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 06:58:53 GMT

>        I recently received a frozen stock of glioblastoma cells (I forget
the >exact strain) and although the media is listed there is no mention of
>antibiotics. We regularly add penicillin and streptomycin to our tissue
>culture cells; is there any reason not to do so with glioblastomas?

Yes, one very good reason not to add antibiotics to any (new) cell line is
to avoid, paradoxically, mycoplasma contamination. These pests very
frequently contaminate cell lines without the grower necessarily being aware.
They can have profound biochemical effects (you assay the bug's enzyme or
pathway instead of the cell's). Mycs get in due to sloppy habits which
develop when you protect from the bacterial infections which would otherwise
results from slips in your sterile proceedures.
Leave out all antibiotics - you will loose a few cultures whilst you learn
good sterile proceedures but the gain is clean cultures and peace of mind.
You will be amazed how many people try to brush this problem under the
carpet and pretend it dosnt exist. Check out your cell lines with Hoechst
stain or some other method and I will wager half you folks out there have
contaminated cell lines. Do you dare to try ??