TdT vs. Kinase

Steven Goldberg goldberg at bms.com
Tue Aug 15 08:51:06 EST 1995

Until recently our lab has been using T4 kinase + gamma 32P-ATP to end-
label our oligonucleotides.  However, we tried terminal deoxynucleotide
transferase and found our probes were labeled to a much higher specific
activity. Another advantage is that you can use a single type of
radionucleotide (alpha 32P-dATP) for all other types of labeling you
might have to do, including random-priming.  Has anyone had the same
experience that we had as far as getting hotter probes--also, are there
any known disadvantages to using probes prepared using TdT vs.kinase?

Thanks for your responses

Steve