DNA hybridization

William Sun william at neuro.usc.edu
Tue Aug 15 14:02:28 EST 1995

Hello, all,

I have a question concerning DNA probes for southern or northern blots.  I
have a 100 bp insert in Bluescript that I wish to label as a probe.  Since
I want to random prime the insert, I wish to cut out a 500 bp fragment,
that is, the fragment will contain 400 bp of Bluescript sequence.  Would
this extra DNA interfere with my Southern or Northern?  Or will it not
make any difference?  I am wondering if the extra DNA would have enough
free energy to overcome the specificity of the 100 bp annealing.  THanks
if you know the answer and can reply.