omission mutagenesis

Bruce D. Erickson berickson at fdant.nctr.fda.gov
Wed Aug 16 08:13:39 EST 1995

In article <3vmdgd$d9d at mark.ucdavis.edu> szeliasf at chip.ucdavis.edu (Elias Fernandez) writes:

>would anyone have carried out a mutagenesis where a single residue was
>ommited in the coding gene?
>would it be possible to use a primer with a codon missing and generate
>the mutant by pcr amplification so that the protein has a residue missing?

>thanks
>elias

I haven't tried it with PCR, but it worked just fine using an
oligonucleotide-mediated mutagenesis system (in my case the Transformer system
form Clontech).  I used a 20-mer oligo with ten nucleotides on either side of
the three nucleotide gap.  I don't recall what the efficiency was, but I got
the clone in the first set of mutants that I screened.

Good Luck

Bruce

(No affiliation with Clontech)