Tm of oligopurine/oligopyrimidine hybrids

Olav Hungnes ohungnes at
Thu Aug 17 08:08:19 EST 1995

My question is probably a close relative to the oligoT
Tm question posted here yesterday:
I'm designing a PCR where one of the primers will contain the polypurine
tract of HIV-1. (ctttttAAAAGAAAAGGGGGGactg). Programs like OLIGO tell me
that the Tm should be about 57 oC. Does anybody know if the one-purine/one
pyrimidine-strand constellation will raise the Tm above the value
calculated by the standard equations? For the viral
rOligopurine/dOligopyrimidine situation (during reverse
transcription/plus-strand priming) this is believed to be the case.

Olav Hungnes                 olav.hungnes at
National Institute               Phone  (+47)22042200
of Public Health                 FAX    (+47)22353605