Freezing damage DNA?

the End jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
Thu Aug 17 16:28:37 EST 1995

Hello old friends, its been a long time.

In my new lab, there is an absolute "phobia" about freezing DNA
samples (ie. freeze-thaw cycles). I have always frozen all plasmid
samples, as well as single stranded plasmids and oligonucleotides
and RNAs. I even recall a Biotechniques article which demonstrated
mutiple freeze-thaw cycles did not nick plamsids.

The source of the paranoia appears to involve the stability of
cosmids and isolated genomic DNA during freeze-thaw cylces.

Does anyone else fear storing cosmids and cosmid libraries
or genomic DNA at -20?

Thanks, please send copies by E-mail,

JIm
J. Graham PhD