BRL RNA ladder hybridizes to my probe

Lana C Stallard stallard at badlands.NoDak.edu
Thu Aug 17 15:52:14 EST 1995

I wonder if anyone has had this happen? I am using Gibco BRL RNA weight
standards (made from phage lambda DNA spliced to an RNA transcript). I get
significant hybridization with a mouse DNA probe (a cDNA probe of
angiotensin converting enzyme) to the ladder when i transfer the ladder
onto a Northern blot. Why would there be so much sequence similarity between lambda and a mouse gene? or could my probe still contain some sequences of the vector it was produces in (Bluescript
plasmid) which is similar to the phage DNA? My boss is convinced i have a
very non-specific probe but i think there must be a reason.
	Thanks for any comments or ideas you may have.
	Lana Stallard