Sequencing problems

steven at MSHRI.ON.CA steven at MSHRI.ON.CA
Fri Aug 18 10:40:55 EST 1995

> From:	MX%"acannons at com1.med.usf.edu"    18-AUG-1995 09:13
> To:	MX%"methods-and-reagents at net.bio.net"
> CC:
> Subj:	Sequencing problems
>
> Having problems with sequencing gels.  This has never happened before,
> but the last 2 gels I've run have "expanded" during the pre-heat and
> run!!  That is the comb is pushed out the top of the gel during the
> pre-heat and after about 30 mins of the run you can see gel coming out.
> Any ideas?  We haven't changed any solutions and have been running these
> gels the same way for years!
> Any help gratefully appreciated
>
> Thanks

I'm not so sure your gels have "expanded". This has happened to me before as
well. The gel seems to slide out of the top of the apparatus. Whatever the
cause, it can be prevented by making sure that your spacers are slightly
shorter than the length of the glass. This causes two "hooks" to form at the
bottom of the gel which prevents it from sliding out of the glass.

Rob Steven