Restriction digestion of PCR fragments

Christopher D. Skory skorycd at ncaur1.ncaur.gov
Mon Aug 21 15:26:08 EST 1995

I always add an extra "GCG" on the 5' ends of my primers when
introducing an R.E. site.  After PCR, the fragment is cleaned up
with Eluquick (S&S) and then digested.  In my experience, if it
is unligatable (tested through self ligation or cloning) after
this, then TA cloning (followed by R.E. digestion) is the only
alternative.  I have never gotten a fragment cloned by using
the extra cleanup steps with phenol, proteinase K, or whatever
cleanup that pleases you.   The glass milk works great if the
sequence will allow digestion.  Otherwise, you're stuck doing the
extra step with TA cloning.

Just my two cents worth.

Christopher D. Skory, Ph.D.
Research Microbiologist

National Center for Agricultural
  Utilization Research, USDA-ARS
Fermentation Biochemistry Division
Peoria, Illinois 61571-3902

E-mail:  skorycd at ncaur1.ncaur.gov

In article <DDn3MF.279 at news.nsw.CSIRO.AU>,
D.Adelson at prospect.anprod.csiro.au says...

>In message <412lsd$3s at Twain.MO.NET> - akravetz at Walden.MO.NET
(Andy Kravetz)
>writes:
>>B VISSER * x2818 Plantkunde * (pbv at rs.uovs.ac.za) wrote:
>>: I am in the process of digesting amplified cDNA fragments
with Not1 of which
>>: a restriction site was incoporated into the primers.  I am
not able to fully
>>: digest the fragments, even though sufficient nucleotides are
present on the
>>: 5' side of the restriction site.  Could Ethidium bromide play
a role in the
>>: inhibition of the digestion of the DNA?  I usually run the
fragments on a
>>: prep gel and cut the desired fragments from the gel with
phenol/chloroform
>>: which is followed by a ethanol precipitation.  Could this be
the reason?

>>I am having the same type of problem as you. I am trying to cut
the ends
>>of a 400bp fragment amplified so I can use it in a ligation. It
appears,
>>dispite having extra bases that it is not working well. I am
considering
>>running it on LMP and then just cutting it in the agarose, then
doing the
>>ligation in the agarose. If I do this, will I have any problems
and can
>>anyone else see a problem with this. Thanks
>>

>This topic came up in a thread about six-twelve months ago.  One
suggestion
>involved proteinase K digestion of PCR products prior to
restriction